E-readers are a convenient technology that users often swear by. They are convenient and easy to travel with, causing them to be perfect for many bookworms. The technology isn’t for everyone however, so it’s important to take the features into consideration when deciding if it’s right for you.
What are the options?
E-readers are primarily devices that display e-books, although some have additional capabilities, such as Internet connectivity. The most well-known choices are the Amazon Kindle, the Sony Reader and Barnes & Noble’s Nook.
Tablets can also function as e-readers, although they have many functions aside from displaying e-books.
- E-readers are extremely portable, which is great for any person who likes to read during vacation or a business trip
- An additional travel perk – if you are in a foreign country, you may still download an e-book in the language you choose, instead of seeking out an accommodating bookstore.
- Books are frequently cheaper than you will find in standard bookstores.
- Privacy – you probably don’t want everyone to know if you’re reading a self-help book. If you’re using an e-reader, they won’t be able to tell.
- All of your books are located in a single place.
- Depending on the style of e-reader or tablet, you might not be able to read in direct sunlight because of screen glare.
- Cost – although you may pay less for books than you normally would, e-readers commonly cost upwards of $140.
- If you’re accustomed to shopping in used bookstores, these books will cost much more than you’re used to spending.
- Lending books isn’t always a choice.
- All of your books are in a single location – if you lose your e-reader, you’re losing all of your books until you buy a replacement.
Overall, when you’re figuring out whether or not an e-reader suits you, it’s all about personal preference. Some prefer the convenience of having all of their books in one convenient device. Others like the weight and feel of a book and like to show off the books they’ve read on a bookshelf somewhere.
If you’re contemplating purchasing an e-reader, take a look at this article on the advantages of the technology, and where it may be headed.